You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

ILF Scotland Transition Fund

If you're aged 15 to 25 with a disability or impairment you can apply to the Transition Fund for money to help you take part in a new activity or learn a skill.

To apply for the Transition Fund, you'll need to apply to ILF Scotland.

The definition of disability or impairment

You have a disability under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a 'substantial' and 'long-term' negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.

Who can apply

You can apply to the Transition Fund if you:

  • are between 15 and 25 years old
  • have lived in Scotland for the last 6 months
  • have an impairment or disability
  • have less than £27,250 in your personal savings

If you apply for the grant at age 15 you will not get the money until you turn 16.

People who have little or no formal support from Social Work Services or through Self Directed Support will get priority.

What you can use the money for

You can use Transition Fund money to take part in a new activity or learn a skill that will help you to become independent and continue to spend more time with other people.

You can use the money for things like:

  • art or music lessons
  • a device or piece of technology to help you with your impairment
  • joining a class or club
  • travel training
  • driving lessons (vehicles are not usually funded)
  • training courses

The most amount of money you can apply to the Transition Fund for is £4,000.

What you cannot use the money for

Transition Fund money can not be used for things that another organisation would give you money for, e.g. Access to Work, Students Awards Agency Scotland.

You cannot use the money for:

  • personal care
  • medical care
  • cleaning and domestic duties
  • supervision
  • essential safeguarding/adult support and protection
  • communication aids
  • aids and adaptations
  • home improvements
  • day to day living expenses
  • accommodation costs
  • clothing (unless you need it for an activity)
  • holidays

What you'll need to make an application

You'll need to show ILF Scotland proof of your disability or impairment.

If you are receiving Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) this can act as proof.

If not, you'll need to get a letter from:

  • your social worker
  • your local area coordinator
  • your teacher
  • your health worker
  • your GP
  • your careers advisor/job coach
  • a registered charity

If you cannot get a letter from any of these please contact ILF Scotland for advice.

You'll also be asked for your:

  • full address
  • National Insurance number
  • DLA or PIP benefits letter (if you get any) or the contact details of someone who can confirm your disability and a supporting letter from them

Download the Transition Fund form

When you've completed the application form you can email or post it to ILF Scotland.

Getting paid

If your application is successful you can choose when you'd like to get your payments. You can get your money:

  • all at once
  • spread over 12 months
  • in a way that suits your needs

Help and support

If you have any questions or need help, contact ILF Scotland:


Phone: 0300 200 2022

Back to top