You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

What we check if you want to be a host

We need to do certain checks before we can match you with a guest.  This is to make sure both you and the home you’re offering are suitable.

Enhanced disclosure check

You need to pass an enhanced disclosure. The checks apply:

  • if you’re offering a home under the Super Sponsor Scheme (whether it’s your own home or another property)
  • to anyone 16 who lives with you if offering your own home

There’s no charge for these enhanced disclosures. 

Local council checks

Local councils will check:

  •  social work records
  •  child and adult protection registers

We cannot match you unless you pass these checks. 

Checks on the home 

Someone from your local council (or their contractors) will visit the property to make sure it’s suitable.

The things they’ll check include:

  • gas and electrical supplies and appliances are safe
  • heating 
  • toilet and bathrooms are in good working order
  • the place is wind and water tight – which means no rising or penetrating damp
  • it has interlinked smoke alarms and a carbon monoxide alarms
  • if there’s no interlinked smoke alarms yet they’ll check there’s a plan to do this and there’s single smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in the meantime
  • washing and cooking facilities 

If the property does not pass the checks the council may be able to help you to do things to meet the criteria. 

You do need to agree to anything. But we cannot take part in scheme unless the property passes these checks

Checks on guests

The Home Office does identity and security checks on people using any of the visa routes. They need to pass these checks to get a visa and to be part of the Homes for Ukraine scheme. 

How to report a safety issue

If you’re worried about the safety of anyone in the scheme you should report it to your local council. 

If you’re worried someone has committed a crime you should report it to the police. 

Phone 101 or visit the Police Scotland website.

Read more about People arriving from Ukraine public protection guidance on

Back to top