You can only get tax credits to help with childcare costs if you:
- use 'registered' childcare
- are able to get Working Tax Credit
- are a parent or the main person looking after a child
- work at least 16 hours per week
- have a child who's under 16, or under 17 if they're disabled
If you're not working and you're responsible for a child under 16 (or under 20 if they're in approved education or training) you could get Child Tax Credit instead.
What you'll get
Use the GOV.UK tax credits calculator to find out how much you can get.
You can't get tax credits if you get universal credit.
How to make a claim
Get an application form by calling the tax credits helpline.
It'll take up to 2 weeks to arrive.
Evidence that will support your claim includes:
- childcare costs
You must renew your claim every year. You can do this by calling the tax credits helpline.