Funeral Support Payment
Last updated: 2 April 2020

Who can apply and when

You can get a Funeral Support Payment if all of the following apply:

  • you live in Scotland
  • you or your partner are getting certain benefits or tax credits
  • the person who died lived in the UK
  • the funeral is being held in the UK, EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland
  • you are applying after the person has died, until 6 months after the date of their funeral
  • you or your partner are responsible for the funeral

You might be able to get a different payment if you live in:

Benefits and tax credits you or your partner must get

You or your partner must get one or more of the following:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit (UC)
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • Working Tax Credit (disability or severe disability element)
  • Housing Benefit
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), not contribution-based JSA
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), not contribution-based ESA

If you or your partner are waiting to hear about your application for one of these benefits, you can still apply for Funeral Support Payment.

Social Security Scotland can only let you know if you can get Funeral Support Payment when they know the outcome of your benefit applications.

If you think you should be getting any of these benefits, you can find out more on GOV.UK.

Being responsible for a funeral

To be responsible for a funeral, you must be both:

  • named on the funeral bill
  • the nearest relation to the person who died

This is usually a partner, child, parent or sibling.