An international business competition that connects sustainable fishing and aquaculture businesses with potential investors in order to increase investment in the sustainable seafood sector and drive social and environmental change in the seafood supply chain.
In 2017, Fish 2.0 will offer more than $50,000 in cash prizes as well as a number of ICX - "Industry Connection" awards at the Competition Finals.
Fish 2.0 Finalists and Runners-up from each track will meet and pitch their businesses to dozens of interested investors at the Fish 2.0 finals in November 2017.
In addition to this opportunity, and the business improvement support received by all during the competition, Fish 2.0 offers competitors a chance to win the following:
$50,000 in cash prizes, awarded by investor judges during the finals. Cash prizes will be allocated in several categories and across all tracks.
ICX Prizes (Industry Connection)
ICX Prizes are unique opportunities offered by industry leaders which allow recipients to gain invaluable knowledge, connections, and insights into new markets, investor forums, and technologies. These prizes are awarded upon mutual agreement by the Fish 2.0 advisory panel and the prize giver to finalists and runners up in the competition. They are intended to build new partnerships with leaders in the industry and to accelerate each prize winner’s growth and success in the seafood marketplace.
Travel support covering airfare & lodging is offered to Finalists and Runners up on a need basis.
The ICX "Industry Connection" Prizes For 2017
- Access and connection opportunities intended to allow recipients to gain invaluable knowledge, connections, and insights into new markets, investor forums, technologies and training programs, accelerating each prize winner’s growth and success in the seafood marketplace.
- Awarded upon mutual agreement by the Fish 2.0 advisory panel and the prize-giver to finalists and runners-up in the competition per the specific criteria for each prize.
- Travel costs for all ICX prizes are the responsibility of the winner unless otherwise specified.
- A half-day expert consultation with Calvert Foundation's lending staff who lead the "Women investing in Women" programme, including mentorship, guidance and information on accessing financing.
- 2 half-days or one full-day meeting with FishChoice’s Leadership Team for up to 3 people, sharing FishChoice’s expertise on sustainable seafood rating and certifications.
- One half-day Meeting and Consultation with Rabobank’s North American seafood lending team, and a consultation with Rabobank’s global seafood analyst.
- One day visit to the RSF Social Finance Offices for coaching sessions with the Social Enterprise Lending Team and the RSF Marketing Team.
- A half day of expert consultation with Stavis Seafoods CEO and Responsible Sourcing Manager including mentorship, guidance and information on accessing new market opportunities.
- Two-day consultation with specialists from TomAlgae to offer advice and expertise to a growing oyster aquaculture venture that will help them to normalize their algae supply in the hatchery and nursery stage as they scale production.
- The Wabel Retail Prize includes an invitation to the Wabel Summit, at least eight meetings with fish buyers from Europe's largest retail groups, and more.
Fish 2.0 is an international business competition that connects sustainable fishing and aquaculture businesses with potential investors. The scheme aims to build the knowledge and connections needed to increase investment in the sustainable seafood sector and drive social and environmental change in the seafood supply chain.
Businesses that enter Fish 2.0 compete for a variety of prizes and finalists will win an opportunity to present their business ideas to a broad range of investors. As a Fish 2.0 competitor, successful applicants will:
- get candid feedback from investors and technical experts;
- gain visibility for businesses with interested investors, customers and partners;
- increase the positive impacts of their business; and
- improve their business model and pitch.
Although there are no specific exclusions cited within the programme guidelines, those wishing to apply are advised to liaise with the funding provider in the first instance to discuss eligibility.
The competition is open to businesses in any stage of development, from early stage, pre-revenue ventures to post-revenue, growth stage businesses looking to scale. Fish 2.0 is open to businesses anywhere in the world, but in some regions entries are invited from businesses in specific sectors only. Eligible business sectors include wild fisheries and aquaculture, aquaponics, seafood supply chain businesses and more.
Match funding is not a stipulated requirement of this programme.
Fish 2.0 competitors improve their business models and learn how to approach investors. In turn, participating investors gain early access to new deals and learn how sustainable seafood can help build their portfolios.
This programme is currently closed. The 2017 closing date for entries was 29 April 2017. Details and deadline information for any future rounds will be reported when available.
- The initial application requires only basic business information and descriptions.
- There is no cost to participate.
- No business plan is required.
- Growth track companies may use existing investor documents.