Financial help if you have a disabled child

Last updated: 3 March 2017

You may be able to get financial help if you have a disabled child. You can get money for:

Disabled Facilities Grant

You could get a grant from your council if your child is disabled and you need to make changes to your home. For example you might need to:

  • widen doors and install ramps
  • improve access to rooms and facilities - for example stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom
  • provide a heating system suitable for your needs
  • adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

A Disabled Facilities Grant won't affect any benefits you get.

Find out more about the Disabled Facilities Grant including how to apply on the GOV.UK website.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who:

  • is under aged 16
  • has difficulties walking or needs more looking after than a child of the same age who doesn't have a disability

Citizen's Advice has information on what you need to know:

  • before you claim DLA
  • when you apply for DLA
  • when appealing a decision about DLA

Find out how to apply on the GOV.UK website.

Carer's Allowance

You could get financial support if you care for someone at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits.

You don't have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

Find out more information and how to apply on the GOV.UK website.

If your child is over aged 16

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability if you're aged 16 to 64.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is ending for people who were born after 8 April 1948 and are 16 or over.

Find out more information including how to get support and how to apply on the GOV.UK website.

Support working out of your benefits

GOV.UK has a benefits calculator to help you work out what you're entitled to.

There is a disability benefits helpline: 03457 123 456

You can also get support from Citizens Advice if you're not sure what you need to do.