Log in and file your Self Assessment tax return

Last updated: 16 May 2017

Log in to your online account to send your tax return to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). You can go back to a tax return you've already started.

Use the user ID and password you got when you registered for Self Assessment or when you set up your online account.

Sign in with GOV.UK Verify if you're registered with the GOV.UK Verify trial for Self Assessment - otherwise use your HMRC account to log in.

Who can't use the service

You need to buy other software or download other forms to send a Self Assessment tax return:

  • for a partnership
  • for a trust and estate
  • if you get income from a trust, you're a Lloyd's underwriter, a religious minister or you need to fill in the non-residence part of the return

Problems with the service

Online services may be slow during busy times. Check if there are any current problems with this service, or times it won't be available.

Problems logging in

Get help if you've lost your:

If you've lost your activation code

If you lose your code within 28 days of registering, log in to the Government Gateway with your user ID and password. Ask for a new code by following the 'activate' link under 'action'.

If your code has expired

To replace an expired code, log in to HMRC online services with your user ID and password and enrol for Self Assessment again.

It may take up to 10 days for your code to arrive, or 21 if you live abroad.

Contact HMRC

Contact the HMRC online services helpdesk if you need help using the service.