You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Wrongful termination of tenancy

If your tenant had a private residential tenancy and think they were misled into ending the tenancy, they can apply to the First-tier Tribunal for a 'wrongful termination order'.

The Tribunal may make a wrongful termination order if it decides that you:

  • misled the Tribunal into issuing an eviction order it shouldn't have
  • wrongly made the tenant leave the property (for example, if you gave the tenant a notice telling them to leave the property because a particular eviction ground applied when this was not true, and the tenant moved out because of this).

If the Tribunal issues a wrongful termination order, you may be told to pay the tenant who applied for the wrongful termination order a payment of up to six months' rent.

If you're a joint landlord with other people, the Tribunal may make the order against all, some or only one of you. If the Tribunal makes a wrongful termination order, they must also send a copy to any local council where you are registered as a landlord.

Back to top