Transport after EU exit (travel and haulage)

Last updated: 13 February 2019

The UK may be leaving the European Union on 29 March 2019.

EU exit (also known as Brexit) may have an effect on the way you live in Scotland.

This may include changes to travel to and from European Union countries after 29 March 2019.

EU exit has not happened, and many of the details are not yet known or are regularly changing. This page gives the most up-to-date information, but it will be added to and changed over time, so please keep checking back for updates.

International air, sea, road, Eurotunnel shuttle and rail passenger services to EU countries are expected to continue after this date, though you may need different documents to travel. You may also need to make different arrangements in advance if you plan to travel with a pet.

Your legal rights as a passenger will stay the same.

Driving in the EU

If you're planning to drive in the EU after 29 March 2019 and have a UK Driving Licence, you may need to apply for and carry an International Driving Permit.

GOV.UK has guidance on this.

You may also need to apply for and carry a Green Card to prove you have third party insurance if you're driving in:

  • the EU
  • EEA countries (Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway)
  • Andorra, Serbia or Switzerland

GOV.UK has guidance on this.

Travelling as a haulier

If you're travelling to Europe as haulier after 29 March 2019, there may be changes to the rules on licences, permits and qualifications which apply to you.

You can get more information from your trade association or from the UK Government.


If the UK leaves the EU in a 'no deal' situation, the rules for travel to most countries in Europe will change for UK passport holders.

If you travel to an EU country after 29 March 2019, you should have at least 6 months left on your passport from the date you arrived.

GOV.UK has guidance which gives more information on which countries this affects.

Travelling with pets

If you're planning to take a pet to an EU country after 29 March 2019, there may be changes that affect you.

You should contact your vet for advice at least 4 months before you travel (or as soon as possible). If the UK leaves the EU in a 'no deal' situation, you may need to take extra steps in advance.

GOV.UK has guidance which gives more information on this.

Air, sea, coach and rail travel

If you're planning to travel by air, sea, coach, rail or Eurotunnel shuttle after 29 March 2019, your rights will remain unchanged.

The UK Government has guidance on this. You should also check with your travel operator in advance to get the latest information on your journey.

The UK Government and European Commission say flights between the UK and the EU will continue after 29 March 2019, no matter what happens after EU exit. It's not clear at this stage, though, whether airlines will be able to run new routes, or run more flights on existing routes.

The European Commission has also said that there will be no difference to travel and holidaymakers won't need a Visa during the 'transition period' (where the UK has left the EU but still follows EU rules while the new arrangements are made).

You may still need to check your passport is valid for at least six months after the date you plan to travel. If you're travelling with a pet, or planning to drive in mainland Europe, you may need to make extra arrangements as explained on this page. There are still more details to be agreed – this site will be updated when there's more information.

More information

More details on travel after EU exit will be added to this page as new information is available.

Meanwhile, there are a number of other sites you can check for updates:

The content on this site is correct as of today's date and is based on the information available at this time. Regular updates will be made as the EU Exit process develops. In the event of a 'no deal', additional advice and information will be given on this site. Please continue to check back for updates.