You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

EU citizens working in Scotland (visas)

Visas for EU citizens working in Scotland

All EU citizens working in Scotland must have a valid immigration status (visa) and the right to work.

Check if you need a UK visa on GOV.UK.

The type of visa you may need will depend on your circumstances.

This does not apply to Irish citizens. Their rights to live, work and access public services in the UK are protected by the Common Travel Area arrangement.

Points-based immigration system

Check what you need to know about the points-based immigration system on GOV.UK.

Prove your right to work 

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen find out how to prove your right to work on GOV.UK.

EU Settlement Scheme

Get information about the EU Settlement Scheme including help to apply.

EU citizens and the right to work

You can download fact sheets on your right to work on Just Citizens website.

You can get the factsheets in:

  • English
  • Italian
  • Lithuanian
  • Polish 
  • Romanian
  • Spanish

You can also get information on your rights to:

  • vote
  • access healthcare
  • education
  • housing
  • benefits

You can get more information on the Just Citizens website.

EU Citizens Support Service

Phone: 0800 916 9847
Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Calls are free. 

Staff can help you with:

  • information 
  • advice
  • help with late EUSS applications

EU citizens can get more information on the Citizens Advice Scotland website.

Back to top