The Emerging Talent Scholarship Scheme offers a number of local, national and international placements for Scottish individuals in the hospitality industry to update their skills, enhance their personal development and bring fresh ideas back to Scottish businesses in order to remain at the forefront of international innovations.
HIT Scotland helps continuous development in the workplace. To keep employees motivated and up-to-date in key skills within the competitive world of hospitality, leisure, travel and tourism, it provides a number of scholarships that can take place locally, nationally and internationally and which offer world-class training courses and 'money can't buy' learning experiences.
These scholarships are available to ambitious and talented individuals and are intended to continually update skills within the industry, enhance personal development and bring fresh ideas back to Scottish businesses to remain at the forefront of international innovations.
The scholarship awards are presented at the annual Emerging Talent Conference.
The Hospitality Industry Trust, known as HIT Scotland, is a Scotland based charity, which raises funds to support and encourage excellence in the hospitality industry.
Since its creation in 1994, HIT Scotland has distributed a total of 8,000 bursaries to students from universities and colleges across Scotland, who it hopes will help to drive forward the potential of the industry.
Through practical support, which includes bursaries, scholarships and industry events, HIT Scotland helps those training to enter the hospitality industry and those already in it. The Emerging Talent Scholarship Scheme is a programme with an overall objective to help all to achieve their full potential and further enhance and maintain the excellent skill base within Scotland.
Although no specific exclusions are cited in the scheme's guidelines, potential applicants are advised to contact HIT Scotland directly to ensure that projects meet the scheme’s eligibility criteria.
Scholarships are available to all aspiring individuals working within Scottish hospitality (in its broadest sense) who are seeking to make a significant difference and drive aspirations in the industry.
Specifically, HIT Scotland aims to award scholarships to individuals who:
- Have already started their career in hospitality, leisure, tourism, travel and catering across Scotland, and who are showing promise in their current role and are ready to take the next step in their career.
- Are nearing completion of a further or higher education course relating to the industry.
For the Leadership Scholarship, there are additional requirements for those interested in applying. Here, applicants must:
- Have been working within the industry for at least one year. It is unlikely that this scholarship would suit someone just starting out in the hospitality industry.
- Have approval from their General Manager/Operations Director/Managing Director as appropriate.
- Currently be at a General Manager or Executive level.
- Be responsible for a team of people.
- Be available to attend the GMP in January or July (New York State).
- Attend an interview and be prepared to present their answers to a panel of judges.
Not a specified requirement.
Successful applicants will spend time working in a variety of operational areas or on structured programmes to gain valuable knowledge that will give them the insight and confidence to get to the next level of their career.
The 2017 scheme provides scholarship placements in the following categories:
- The Executive Learning Scholarship
- Jumeirah and Emirates Academy of Hospitality Management Initiative Scholarship
- Disney Scholarship
- Gion Executive Scholarship
- Global Destination Scholarship
Junior - Middle Management
- Lausanne (Executive) Scholarship
- London Capital Gains Scholarship
- The Early Years Management Scholarships
- Entrepreneurial Scholarship
- Green Tourism Scholarship
- Frank Mullen (bespoke) Scholarship
- Craft Scholarship
- Patisserie and Sugar Craft Scholarship
- Customer Experience Scholarship
- The Drinks Package Scholarship
- Experience Scholarship
- Social Media Scholarship
- The Introductory Patisserie and Sugar Craft Scholarship
- The Supervisors Scholarship
This scheme is now closed. The last deadline for applications was 25 November 2016. Information regarding any future rounds will be given once available.
Any future deadlines will be reported when available.
Link to guidelines:
Applications should be submitted via the HIT Scotland website.
Interviews for the scholarships will take place during January 2017. Scholarships will be awarded at the Scholarships Awards Presentation at the HIT Emerging Talent Conference during February 2017 in the Grand Central Hotel, Glasgow.
All decisions are final and whilst feedback may be provided, the final judgement rests with the Scholarship Committee.