You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Emergency housing if you're homeless

If you're homeless and have nowhere to stay tonight, your local council has a legal duty to help you.

If you're eligible, it'll advise you how to make a homeless application and give you somewhere to stay while it looks into your situation.

If your local council offices are closed, there should be an emergency/out of hours number you can call.

Your other options

Other emergency housing options are:

  • hostels, nightshelters and winter shelters
  • domestic violence and women's refuges
  • bed and breakfast hotels

Use Shelter Scotland's advice finder to look for local services that can help you in person, or call the free housing helpline on 0808 800 444 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm).

Back to top