Apply for or renew an Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)
Last updated: 31 March 2020

The learning agreement

A learning agreement sets out what's expected of you in terms of attendance and coursework. Your learning agreement is set by your education provider and takes your personal circumstances into account.

It must be signed by:

  • you
  • your parent or responsible adult
  • the school or college you're studying at

Parental signature is not required if you:

  • are studying full time within college
  • are estranged from your family and assessed as independent for benefit purposes
  • have additional support needs that make it impractical

A new learning agreement should be completed for each academic year.