You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.


You've been redirected from a site that no longer exists (). Find what you're looking for on

Applying for or renewing EMA

Education Maintenance Allowances (EMAs) gives financial support to eligible 16 to 19 year olds who want to continue learning.

If you're eligible for an Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA), you need to complete the following every academic year:

  • an EMA application form
  • a learning agreement

To renew your EMA you to complete a new application form and the learning agreement every year.

The college, education centre or school you go to will be able to give you an application form and help to complete it.

Coronavirus and EMA payments

Coronavirus (COVID-19) may stop you meeting your agreed attendance requirements if:

  • you're self-isolating
  • you have the virus
  • your learning institution closes

If you are absent for any of these reasons, you'll still continue to get your EMA payments.

Apply or renew now

You need to apply through your school or college, depending on where you're learning:

If you're studying at school

You can apply or renew with your local council:

If you're studying at college

You can apply or renew with your college:

How long does the process take?

It depends if you complete your form properly and the date on which you apply. Your local council or college bursary office will be able to update you on your application progress.

Back to top