Grants are available for individuals and institutions in the UK or Japan to promote links between the UK and Japan through projects of mutual interest and benefit such as educational and grassroots exchanges, research travel, the organisation of conferences, exhibitions, and other projects and events that further UK-Japan understanding.
Funding of between £2,000 and £7,000 is available.
The Foundation typically award grants of £3,000 to successful Small Grant applications.
The Daiwa Anglo-Japanese Foundation provides a Small Grants scheme to promote interaction between the UK and Japan.
The Foundation's aims are:
- To enhance the UK's and Japan's understanding of each other's people and culture.
- To enable British and Japanese students and academics to further their education through exchanges and co-operation.
- To make grants available to individuals and organisations to promote links between the UK and Japan at all levels.
The funding cannot be used for:
- General appeals.
- Capital expenditure (eg, building refurbishment, equipment acquisition, etc).
- Consumables (eg, stationery, scientific supplies, etc).
- School, college or university fees.
- Research or study by an individual school/college/university student.
- Salary costs or professional fees.
- Commissions for works of art.
- Retrospective costs.
- Replacement of statutory funding.
- Commercial activities.
Any individual, society, association or other body that can fulfil the criteria for the scheme and prove that the project will fit with the Foundation's overriding objective of promoting links between UK and Japan can apply.
The grant is meant to be a 'contribution' to the proposed project and not to cover the full costs.
Projects must further UK-Japan understanding.
Funding can be used for activities such as:
- Research travel.
- Conferences and symposia.
- Educational and grassroots exchanges.
- Individual academic research (postdoctoral only).
- Organisation of conferences.
New initiatives are especially encouraged.
There are two application deadlines each year, 31 March (for a decision by 31 May) and 30 September (for a decision by 30 November). However, the Foundation encourages applicants to submit their application as early as possible.
All applicants are notified by letter from the Foundation.
The guidelines and online application form can be found on the Daiwa Anglo-Japanese Foundation.