You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Customs and trade – movement of goods and vehicles

Movement of objects of cultural interest

From 1 January 2021 the rules will change for moving some cultural objects between the UK and EU. For example works of art and historical objects.

You might need different export and import licenses after this date. You might not be able to take these items out of the UK without the correct licence.

Check guidance for exporting or importing cultural objects.

ATA Carnets

You may need an ATA Carnet if you take equipment into or out of:

  • EU
  • Switzerland
  • Norway
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein

This includes for:

  • touring
  • exhibiting
  • temporary project work

An ATA Carnet is a document that lists each piece of equipment for customs. It may be needed for items such as:

  • musical instruments and equipment
  • stage designs
  • make-up
  • film production equipment

Check guidance on ATA Carnets.

Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES)

You may need CITES export and import permits to take items made from certain protected species from the UK into:

  • EU
  • Switzerland
  • Norway
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein

You may also need a CITES permit for bringing items into the UK from these countries.

You need CITES permits for certain woods and materials such as ivory. You may need a permit to move musical instruments and other cultural objects containing these across borders.

If you're only travelling with a single musical instrument you can get a specific permit for this. There's no charge for this permit.

Check if you need a CITES permit.

Drivers Licence

From 1 January 2021 the rules for driving abroad may change.

Check guidance for driving abroad.

Back to top