Innovative start-ups from anywhere in the world may apply for this competition where there is the chance to win a cash prize whilst building important industry connections.
One winning applicant will have the opportunity to win €1 million as a cash prize. Furthermore, there will be the chance to connect with high profile industry leaders and to gain valuable experience.
The tax free prize money will be paid in cash to an account that has been specified by the winning candidate.
The CUBE Challenge is a contest administered by CUBE GmbH, Berlin (CUBE), whereby promising start-ups will have the chance to receive a no strings attached €1 million cash prize. Start-ups which have qualified for the CUBE ecosystem will automatically participate in the CUBE challenge as part of the application.
CUBE aims to support change and innovation through granting the winning start-up a level of independence. Aside from the cash prize, there will also be the opportunity to forge partnerships with industry experts.
Interested parties should note the following restrictions:
- The start-up in question should not be dependent upon any industry partners. For example, they should not be a subsidiary company of a business within the industry. They should not represent any substantial industry holding.
- If deemed necessary, the organiser has the right to exclude participants from participating in the CUBE challenge or from receiving the prize money. This is particularly applicable in cases where the participant is violating any applicable law connected with the submitted service offering.
- The applicant cannot become more than one candidate type.
This competition is intended for outstanding, innovative start-up companies from anywhere in the world that have qualified for the CUBE ecosystem. In order to qualify for the CUBE ecosystem, the application form must be written in the English language. The start-up should be a small or medium-sized company in accordance with the EU Commission definition.
The applicant start-up must have products, solutions, hardware and/or a business model ready for industry digitalisation in one of the following fields: agriculture, food technology, digital health and life science, manufacturing and machinery, or infrastructure and interconnectivity.
The status of the solution or product will not be relevant. It does not matter whether there are already customers or whether the solution or product is still at the prototype stage.
Information regarding match funding has not been stipulated. Interested parties should contact the funding provider directly for further information.
The €1 million cash prize will not be dependent on cooperation projects with the industry. Funding is intended to give start-ups a degree of independence so that industry partnerships may be formed with more ease.
The next deadline for this scheme is 30 April 2017.
In order to be considered for this award, interested parties should first apply for the CUBE ecosystem through the online platform. It is possible to interrupt the application process by returning the application login and making any necessary alterations. However, changes may not be made once the application has been submitted.
Once the applicant has signed up to qualify, there will be the option to invite up to three recommenders who will each receive an invitation to write a recommendation for the applicant's business. This is an optional feature and is not necessary to the application process. The application will be reviewed by the CUBE team who will let applicants know whether or not they have qualified as quickly as possible.
The start-up should fit into one of four candidate types, each with a different participation route. The applicant cannot become more than one candidate type. These candidate types are as follows:
- Ecosystem Candidates. Start-ups will be chosen from the CUBE ecosystem to become CUBE Ecosystem Candidates. Start-ups may also be considered as potential industry partners, depending upon their application and particular promise.
- Global Touchpoint Candidates. CUBE will invite a number of companies from the CUBE ecosystem to attend Global Touchpoint Events, organized around the world. Up to ten of those who were invited will be chosen as a CUBE Global Touchpoint Candidate, based upon their specific ability for cooperating with industry partners.
- Cooperation Space Candidates. A number of companies from the CUBE ecosystem will have the opportunity to deliver a key presentation regarding a particular project. These companies will work together alongside a CUBE Tech Fair. The preparation of the joint project and presentation will take up to seven months from October 2016 in the CUBE cooperation space, based in Berlin.
- Tech Fair Audience Candidates. Those who are attending the CUBE Tech Fair will have the chance to vote for the company that will become the Tech Fair Audience Candidate. The start-up that obtains the most "likes" will be nominated and will become a finalist for the CUBE Challenge Finale on 10-12 May 2017.
The start-ups that will present their service as part of a pitch to a judging panel at the CUBE Tech Fair which will take place from 10-12 May 2017.The judging panel will then choose the winner of the CUBE challenge.