You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Work, education and childcare

We’re still encouraging employers to support working from home, or flexible working, where possible and appropriate. Most businesses are not planning a wholesale return to the workplace and are taking a gradual approach. Our advice is that you can go into the workplace along with others if you want to, or if your employer needs this. Employers should not discourage you from returning to the workplace if that is not your choice or in your best interests.

Our advice is that children and young people on the highest risk list can follow the same advice as the rest of the population. This includes attending nursery, school, college and university, unless their clinician has advised them otherwise individually.   

Making your workplace safe

Employers have a legal duty to make the workplace safe for all staff. It’s the employer's responsibility to regularly carry out workplace risk assessments and take steps to reduce Covid risk. Employees also have a responsibility to follow safe working practices.

Find workplace safety advice for people at highest risk at

Workplace risk assessment guidance for employers

Find workplace risk assessment guidance for employers at

Individual Covid risk assessment

We also advise you to do an individual risk assessment.  You can use this to highlight your own personal risk to your employer.

Find guidance on carrying out an individual Covid risk assessment to check your own risk at work at 

If you still feel unsafe at work

If you feel unsafe in your workplace and have already spoken to your employer, you can get more advice from:

  • Occupational Health Services (if your employer offers them)
  • the Health and Safety representative in your workplace
  • HR (your employer's Human Resources team, if there is one)
  • your trade union or professional body
  • the Citizens Advice website or the free Citizens Advice Helpline on 0800 028 1456, (Monday to Friday, office hours)
  • the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS)

Financial help if you cannot work

Financial help is available if you cannot work for reasons related to Covid. For example, caring responsibilities. You should also ask your employer if they can offer any other financial support not mentioned below.

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) and benefits

If you're not furloughed, you may be able to get Statutory Sick Pay, Universal Credit, or other benefits. To find out what benefits you can get, speak to your employer, visit GOV.UK, or visit Citizens Advice Scotland.

Crisis grants

If you're facing a gap in your usual income, you may be able to apply for a crisis grant from the Scottish Welfare Fund.

Self-isolation grants

If Test and Protect have contacted you and asked to self-isolate because of coronavirus, you may be eligible for the Self-Isolation Support Grant.

Money advice

For money advice visit the Money Talk Team website or call Money Talk for free on 0800 085 7145.


Back to top