You can apply to court to claim money you're owed by a person or business.
There are 2 ways to do this:
- simple procedure – if your case is worth less than £5,000 and isn't complicated
- ordinary cause – if your case is worth more than £5,000 or is complicated (you may wish to consider getting legal advice)
There are other ways to recover money you're owed that could be quicker, cheaper and less stressful than going to court.
Help and advice
You can get help from Citizens Advice on making a court claim by either:
- phoning Citizens Advice Direct on 0808 800 9060 (find out about call charges)
- making an appointment at your local bureau
- visiting the Citizens Advice website
For business debt advice, contact Business Debtline Scotland.
In-court advice and mediation
At some sheriff courts there are free advice and mediation services for issues such as rent arrears, debt and compensation. This could help you resolve your case before any court action begins.
You might be able to get help with the costs of: