Connecting to the mains water supply

Last updated: 13 January 2020

Before you decide whether to connect to the mains, you can contact your local council for advice on how to improve your existing private supply.

You may be able to get a non means-tested grant of up to £800 to improve your supply.

How to apply for a mains connection

Scottish Water are responsible for connections to the mains water supply.

You can call Scottish Water on 0141 414 7660 for help and advice about applying for a connection.

To apply, you'll need to fill in the Water Connection Application form. You can get it on the Scottish Water website, or by calling 0845 601 8855.

You can't get financial help from Scottish Water to transfer from a private to a public water supply.

If Scottish Water won't connect you to the public water system

You can appeal if Scottish Water refuses to connect you to the mains water system.

Visit the Citizens Advice Scotland Website to find out:

  • who to appeal to
  • the appeal process
  • how much it costs
  • how long it takes