Claim Housing Benefit

Last updated: 20 March 2018

You could get Housing Benefit to help pay your rent if you're on a low income.

It can pay for all or part of your rent. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances.

If you're a home owner, you won't be eligible for Housing Benefit. Read our guide for home owners with mortgage difficulties.

You can apply for Housing Benefit whether you're unemployed or working.

You could be a tenant of:

Claim Housing Benefit through your local council, find out:

  • if you're eligible
  • how to claim
  • what you'll get