Support for start-ups, entrepreneurs, developers and others who have an early-stage business anywhere in the world, for the development of breakthrough technologies, products or business models with ideas regarding how technologies that best leverage the Internet of Things (IoT).
Successful applicants may win a share of $250,000. There will be one first prize worth $150,000, one second prize worth $75,000 and one third prize worth $25,000. Winners will also have mentoring opportunities from industry experts, workspace use at Cisco Innovation Centers and a trip to the Web Summit based in Lisbon so that they may participate in the live finals.
For teams and Business Entity Participants, the Team Leader, the official representative or the Business Entity Contact Person will receive the prize amount. This person will then have the responsibility of distributing this cash prize further amongst team members.
This competition is administered by Cisco, a worldwide leader in the field of information technology who focus on providing solutions to specific customer challenges. The purpose of the Innovation Grand Challenge is to support the development of breakthrough technologies, products or business models. Participants should put forward new ideas regarding how technologies that best leverage the Internet of Things (IoT).
Interested parties should note the following restrictions:
- Employees or internally contracted vendors of Cisco are not eligible to apply.
- Immediate family members or those residing in the same household of a Cisco employee are not eligible to apply.
- Those who are professionally involved in the development or administration of the contest are not eligible to apply.
- Those who are employed by governments and government-affiliated organisations are not eligible to apply.
- Those who are denied entry in the Contest or acceptance of the prize(s) due to their employer's guidelines or regulations are not eligible to apply.
- Residents of Cuba, Iran, Syria, North Korea, Myanmar and Sudan are not eligible to apply.
Applications will be welcome from start-ups, entrepreneurs, developers and others who have an early-stage business, prototype or solution in customer trials. Applicants should have an original, solution based idea.
Entries must fit into one of the following categories:
- Smart cities
- Cyber security
Information regarding match funding has not been stipulated.
Award money is intended for the purpose of using technology to make improvements to the fields of education, healthcare, transportation, manufacturing, smart cities, retail, cyber-security and infrastructure. Funding will support the development of ground-breaking technologies, products and business models.
This scheme is now closed. The last deadline for this competition was 31 August 2016. Information regarding any future rounds will be given once available. The semi-finalists will be announced 21 September 2016. These semifinalists will then compete against each other during the time period of 21 September - 7 October. Finalists will be announced 20 October and will compete against each other during the time period of 21 October - 9 November. The overall winner will be announced 9 November 2016.