You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

When funded early learning and childcare can start

Your local council will tell you what's available in your area.

If your child is eligible for funded early learning and childcare, they will start at the beginning of a school term, such as:

  • August (the beginning of autumn term)
  • January (the beginning of spring term)
  • March or April (the beginning of summer term)

When your child starts will depend on their birthday.

Birthday When your child can start funded early learning and childcare
Between 1 March and 31 August August (autumn term)
Between 1 September and 31 December January (spring term)
Between 1 January and last day February March or April (summer term)

If your child is still 4 years old on the date they are due to start primary school, you can defer your child's entry to primary school by a year. You will be able to get an additional year of funded early learning and childcare for the deferred year.

Aberdeen City Council Aberdeenshire Council Angus Council Argyll and Bute Council Clackmannanshire Council Comhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council) Dumfries & Galloway Council Dundee City Council East Ayrshire Council East Dunbartonshire Council East Lothian Council East Renfrewshire Council Edinburgh Council Falkirk Council Fife Council Glasgow City Council Highland Council Inverclyde Council Midlothian Council Moray Council North Ayrshire Council North Lanarkshire Council Orkney Islands Council Perth and Kinross Council Renfrewshire Council Scottish Borders Council Shetland Islands Council South Ayrshire Council South Lanarkshire Council Stirling Council West Dunbartonshire Council West Lothian Council

Learn more about when your child can start school.

Find a list of some of the organisations which can offer early years support here.

Back to top