Apply to carry out activities that may affect the environment

Last updated: 5 August 2019

Some businesses or organisations carry out activities that could be harmful to the environment.

To make sure these activities are done in a way that does as little damage as possible, the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) is in charge of giving authorisation (permission) to carry them out.

Visit the SEPA website for more information on which activities need authorisation when dealing with:

  • water
  • air
  • land
  • waste
  • radioactive substances
  • energy

It also gives examples of activities that don't need formal authorisation (though they may still need prior approval).