Support is available for projects that benefit the community and economy in the rural areas of the Cairngorms.
There is no official minimum or maximum amount of grant that may be applied for. However, applicants should observe a recommended minimum project spend of £5,000.
The Cairngorms LEADER Programme is provided as part of the Scottish Rural Development Plan (SDRP) with funding from the EU via the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD). The programme is managed by the Cairngorms Local Action Group (LAG) which includes Scottish Enterprise, Chambers of Commerce and local community and voluntary organisations.
Support is aimed at innovative, locally driven, bottom-up projects that will support the local community and develop the rural economy. The overall aim of the LEADER programme is to increase the capacity of local community and business networks to build knowledge and skills, innovate and co-operate in order to tackle local development objectives.
The main aims and objectives of the Cairngorms Strategy are as follows:
- Building community capacity in order to facilitate and support local development through partnership working.
- Growing the economy of the park through strengthening existing business sectors, supporting business start-ups and diversification and increasing the amount of workers who are employed by the park.
- Attracting, supporting and retaining young people in the National Park.
- Improving transport, connectivity and service provision.
- Protecting and enhancing the National Park landscape, wildlife and local heritage.
- Excellence in regards to sustainable tourism and recreation for the purpose of enhancing the enjoyment of residents and visitors.
Interested parties should contact the funding provider directly in order to discuss any restrictions that may apply.
Eligible applicants include:
- Constituted community and voluntary organisations.
- Social enterprises.
- Micro or small businesses for group projects.
- Public sector organisations.
- Individuals - for projects with public support and that implement a local strategy.
Applicants may apply for match funding for between 50% to 100% of total project costs up to a maximum amount of £5,000.
LEADER funding can support capital and revenue costs of eligible projects, including:
- Site or building acquisition.
- Professional fees.
- Site preparation.
- External and internal services.
- Physical building works.
- Essential fixtures and fittings.
- Environmental improvements.
- Provision or improvement of community or visitor facilities.
- Feasibility studies.
- Staffing costs.
- Consultancy fees.
- Travel costs.
- Lease or rental of premises essential for delivering the project.
- Purchase or leasing of equipment.
- Financing of capital costs.
- Operating costs of premises.
- Direct overheads.
- Childcare costs.
- Non-recoverable VAT.
- In-kind contributions.
There is no official application deadline for this fund. A deadline can be arranged between the applicant and the funding provider should the Expression of Interest prove to be suitable.
Interested parties may begin the application process by completing an Expression of Interest form, which may be found on the Cairngorms LEADER website. If this form appears to fit with the Cairngorms LEADER objectives, then the applicant may receive a visit from a staff team member who will go through the project and the application process.