Staff training, internet use and mobile devices
You can help protect your business from online threats by:
- training staff
- having policies on internet use and mobile devices
Training can help make your staff better able to cope with security threats, like phishing or viruses.
National Archives offer free online training courses for you and your staff.
Each course takes around 60 minutes to complete.
If your business's staff have access to the internet at work, your business should:
- offer them guidance on acceptable use
- train them in data protection
Guidance on acceptable use of the internet is sometimes known as an 'acceptable usage policy'.
An acceptable usage policy tells staff:
- when they can use the internet privately at work
- what they are allowed to look at
- how to use confidential information
You can find more advice on creating an acceptable usage policy on the Get Safe Online website.
Using mobile devices
Mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets can be the targets of theft and online threats.
Your business should offer staff guidance on the safe use of mobile devices, such as:
- protecting devices using a PIN
- installing internet security software
- avoiding the use of public Wi-Fi
- watching out for 'shoulder surfers' when using devices in public
You can find more advice on using mobile devices on the Get Safe Online website.