You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Business debt and bankruptcy

Includes bankruptcy, insolvency and recovering money owed to your business.

  1. Apply for a moratorium

    Request a six-week period of debt relief where you can plan your next move without legal action by creditors.

  2. Business debt advice

    Find out how to get advice about business debt and guidance and where to get information on debt and bankruptcy.

  3. Check if a person or company is insolvent

    Search for insolvencies, trust deeds and companies in receivership or liquidation.

  4. Corporate insolvency

    Information on the different steps you can take if your business faces financial difficulties.

  5. Company Voluntary Arrangements

    This is an alternative to liquidation. You reschedule payment to creditors over a fixed period using a Company Voluntary Arrangement to recover from insolvency.

  6. Contact the Accountant in Bankruptcy (AiB)

    Accountant in Bankruptcy (AiB) contact details. Find information on the bankruptcy process in Scotland.

  7. Getting back money owed to your business

    Recover money owed to your business – includes court claims, statutory demands, mediation and bankruptcy.

  8. Liquidate your limited company

    Liquidating a limited company guidance, including members' voluntary liquidation and creditors' voluntary liquidation.

  9. Make a court claim for money

    How to take legal action if someone owes you money, how much it will cost and what happens after you make a claim through the courts.

  10. Object to a limited company being struck off

    Object to a company's application to be removed from the companies register.

  11. Protect your limited company from compulsory liquidation

    Defend your company against a statutory demand or a winding up petition - disputing the debt, getting an injunction and challenging the petition in court.

  12. Register as a creditor in an insolvency case

    If you're owed money in any insolvency case (including bankruptcy or liquidation), contact the Accountant in Bankruptcy or insolvency practitioner to register as a creditor and make a claim for the money you're owed.

  13. Report a loan shark

    Find out whether a money lender is legally licensed and, if not, how you can report them anonymously.

  14. Respond to a court claim for money

    What happens if someone makes a money claim against you, saying you owe them money, and how you can respond or defend yourself.

  15. How to search for disqualified company directors

    Check if someone is disqualified from being a company director, or search the list of directors banned in the last 3 months.

  16. Sheriff court decrees on debt

    What happens after a sheriff court issues a decree.

  17. Sheriff officer powers when they visit your home or business

    Your rights when sheriff officers visit your home or business – includes proof of identity, forcing entry and complaints.

  18. Wind up a company that owes you money

    You can apply to the court to ‘wind up’ a company if it can’t pay its debts of more than £750. If successful, the company will be put into liquidation.

Back to top