Apply for basic disclosure

Last updated: 31 July 2018

Apply for basic disclosure

You can apply for a basic disclosure online or by completing a paper form.

If you need a basic disclosure for a job in England or Wales, apply to the Disclosure and Barring Service. If you want a basic disclosure for personal reasons rather than work purposes, apply where you live – Disclosure Scotland if you live in Scotland, or the Disclosure and Barring Service if you live in England or Wales.

Apply online

Before you start

You must do your own basic disclosure application.

To use the online system your address must be in the UK. If you live outside the UK you must apply using a paper form.

Supporting information for your application

The application system times out if you haven't done anything in it for 20 minutes, so it's best to get everything you'll need ready before you begin.

You'll need the following information to hand before you start your online application:

  • your address details for the past 5 years
  • your National Insurance number
  • pen and paper/printer to note down your reference number at the end of the process

Identity documents

You'll need to supply a copy of one of the following which includes your date of birth:

  • passport (photo page only)
  • driving licence photocard (full or provisional)
  • biometric residence permit (BRP)
  • national identity card from a country outside the European Economic Area (EEA)
  • birth certificate
  • adoption certificate
  • marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate
  • NHS card
  • UK armed forces identity card
  • UK firearm or shotgun certificate

You'll also need to supply a copy of one of the following which includes your current address:

  • utility bill, such as gas, electric or phone bill
  • council tax bill or letter
  • driving licence photocard (full or provisional)
  • bank or credit card statement
  • mortgage statement
  • tenancy agreement (typed, not handwritten)
  • insurance policy document or letter
  • payslip or P60
  • UK hospital or doctor's letter
  • UK TV Licence
  • university, college or school letter
  • UK Electoral Register Office letter or UK polling card
  • Home Office letter
  • UK firearm or shotgun certificate
  • UK solicitor's letter on headed paper

Your proof of address must be no more than 12 months old, although your driving licence can be older. You can't use the same document for both identity and address.

You'll need to upload copies of these documents as part of the application process or email them separately. There is a maximum filesize of 1 MB per file. Files bigger than this will not be accepted.

If you can't upload or would prefer to email your document copies, do this after you have completed the online application. Do not send originals, as they won't be returned.

You can:

Remember to include your 18 digit case reference number.


You'll need to pay an application fee of £25. Make sure you have a credit or debit card ready for this.

Apply now

Apply using a paper form

If you can't apply online or live outside the UK, you can apply using a paper form.

Apply for basic disclosure
Apply for basic disclosure