Become an appointee for someone claiming benefits

Last updated: 5 December 2017

You can apply for the right to deal with the benefits of someone who can't manage their own affairs. This can be because they're mentally incapable or severely disabled.

An appointee can be:

  • an individual, like a friend or relative

  • an organisation or a representative of an organisation, such as a solicitor or local council.

Visit GOV.UK to find out about becoming an appointee for someone claiming benefits.

You'll find information on:

  • appointee responsibilities

  • how to apply to become an appointee

  • how to stop being an appointee

Tax credits and Child Benefit

There are different processes for becoming an appointee to claim and deal with someone else's: