Accounts and tax returns for private limited companies


At the end of its financial year, your limited company must prepare full ('statutory') annual accounts.

You then use this information to:

  • send accounts to Companies House
  • pay Corporation Tax - or tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) that your limited company doesn't owe any
  • send a Company Tax Return to HMRC
Action Deadline
File annual accounts with Companies House 9 months after your company's financial year ends
Pay Corporation Tax 9 months and 1 day after your company's financial year ends
File a Company Tax Return 12 months after your company's financial year ends

These deadlines are for private limited companies.

Your Corporation Tax and Company Tax Return deadlines may be different if your accounting period is different to your financial year.

Companies House may extend your accounts deadline if both:

  • an event you couldn't control stops you from sending your accounts
  • you apply for more time before the filing deadline

Email or write to Companies House, explaining what's happened and how much more time you'll need to file your accounts.
Telephone: 0303 1234 500
Minicom/textphone: 029 2038 1245
Monday to Friday 8.30am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

You can also write to the following address:

Companies House
4th Floor Edinburgh Quay 2
139 Fountainbridge
Edinburgh EH3 9FF

LP - 4 Edinburgh 2 (Legal Post)
DX ED235 Edinburgh 1

You must take additional steps: