At the end of its financial year, your limited company must prepare full ('statutory') annual accounts.
You then use this information to:
- send accounts to Companies House
- pay Corporation Tax - or tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) that your limited company doesn't owe any
- send a Company Tax Return to HMRC
|File annual accounts with Companies House||9 months after your company's financial year ends|
|Pay Corporation Tax||9 months and 1 day after your company's financial year ends|
|File a Company Tax Return||12 months after your company's financial year ends|
These deadlines are for private limited companies.
Your Corporation Tax and Company Tax Return deadlines may be different if your accounting period is different to your financial year.
Get more time to file your accounts
Companies House may extend your accounts deadline if both:
- an event you couldn't control stops you from sending your accounts
- you apply for more time before the filing deadline
Email or write to Companies House, explaining what's happened and how much more time you'll need to file your accounts.
You can also write to the following address:
4th Floor Edinburgh Quay 2
Edinburgh EH3 9FF
LP - 4 Edinburgh 2 (Legal Post)
DX ED235 Edinburgh 1
If the company is new or was dormant
You must take additional steps: