Grants are available for cultural organisations, community groups, charities and individual artists/creatives to develop and/or deliver creative activity within the city of Aberdeen.
Two levels of funding are available:
- Organisations – A maximum grant of £15,000 (Applicants can submit two applications a year but the overall amount cannot exceed £20,000).
- Individuals – A maximum grant of £2,000 (Applicants can only submit one application a year but can reapply if their first application is unsuccessful).
Before You Start
Aberdeen City Council provides the Creative Funding programme as part of its commitment to supporting the development of arts, culture and creativity in the city.
The funding is aimed at delivering a wide range of activities including:
- Developing ideas and projects.
- Professional development.
The following are not eligible for funding:
- Retrospective costs (backdated costs associated with the activity).
- Existing capital costs associated with existing buildings or other performance or exhibition spaces.
- Existing revenue or staff costs.
- Projects which support or promote religious or political activity.
What You Need To Know
Cultural organisations, community groups, charities and individual artists or creatives can apply.
To be eligible, applicant must have:
- An ability to deliver high quality cultural activity.
- Not-for-profit status.
- An appropriate governance structure.
- An equal opportunities statement or policy.
- Relevant accounting procedures.
- A clear requirement for support.
Applications from internal council services or external organisations in receipt of annual investment from ACC (ie not a project grant) will be accepted ONLY if they are made in partnership with an external body which meet the grant criteria.
Organisations must provide at least 25% match funding from a source external to the Council.
There is no match funding requirement for individuals.
Proposals will be considered for any type of arts, heritage and culture project including the following:
- Computer Games
- Cultural Education
- Fashion and Textiles
- Film and Video Heritage
- Language and the Written Word
- Software/Electronic Publishing
- TV and Radio
- Visual Arts
- Writing and Publishing
Applications will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Does the application have a focus on arts, culture and heritage and/or creativity activity?
- Is the quality of the activity clear?
- Is there evidence of a clear demand and/or need for the activity?
- What difference will this activity make to its participants and/or audience?
- Is the activity aspirational, is the applicant seeking to develop, to try new things or take risks to support development?
- Where relevant, is it clear that the activity is actively promoting engagement with hard to reach groups such as people living in the city’s regeneration priority areas or from an ethnic minority group?
- Does the activity appear well planned and deliverable?
- Is it clear that the requested level of financial support is required to deliver the activity?
- Is there an understanding of the other activity taking place in the city, avoiding unnecessary duplication and promoting partnership working?
- Is the applicant being proactive in sourcing a range of different funds to support the activity?
- Is the application well-presented and is a sufficient level of information provided?
How To Apply
Details of future rounds will be reported as they become available.
Application forms are available from the Aberdeen City Council website or on request.
Application forms should be returned by email (or post if the applicant does not have email access).
Applications will be acknowledged no later than five working days after submission.
All applications will be reviewed by a selection panel consisting of city residents and at least two independent cultural sector professionals.